Monitoring in the workplace

WorkSMART from the TUC has recently up-dated its advice for workers on monitoring and Internet policies.

The basis for the advice is as follows:

"Everyone has the right to a private life, even when at work. But privacy at work is becoming more of an issue every day.

New technology allows employers to collect substantial information about their staff, whilst surveillance techniques in the workplace are becoming increasingly sophisticated and intrusive.

Snooping on workers is now technically very easy."


An example of the questions answered by WorkSMART include:

1) How should my employer approach monitoring at work?

2) Is my boss allowed to listen to my voicemail or open my email whilst I’m away from work?

3) Is my employer allowed to monitor my vehicle?

WorkSMART also provide a Know Your Rights leaflet on privacy at work

No comments: