Can video game playing help organizations?

I don't know about anyone else out there, but the X-Box, PlayStation, etc. has passed me by, yet neither have I regretted not getting involved.

My son is mad on them and my negotiation skills have improved somewhat in getting him to stop playing short of raising my voice so that all the street can hear.

Despite limiting his use of video games it has often made me wonder if there is any further or wider value in young people (and many people not so old) spending so much time fixated with trying to get to what an outsider, like me, often sees as a rather pointless exercise.

Having said all of that, an article by BBC News (Technology) today suggests many organisations are considering ways of harnessing the skills and familiarity their employees have with virtual environments.

How can this work, then?

It is claimed in the article that this familiarity has driven many organisations to consider virtual worlds as places where employees can meet, mix and get on with the job.

What is more, it is believed that the formidable organisational skills required to be successful in virtual games - such as, run a game team or guild, organise raids involving perhaps 40 people and co-ordinate their different abilities to defeat a game's strongest foes - are all relevant to work.

I'm more convinced than I was before reading the article - When work becomes a game by Mark Ward.

No comments: