"User-generated media" and "faithful audiences"

Browsing an article about the Content 2.0 Conference I came across some terminology that really appealed to me, i.e. "user-generated media". To be truthful I've never been comfortable when commentators have described blogging as citizen journalism, or bottom-up reporting, etc.

The term is probably not new at all, I have probably seen it before, but sometimes I suppose we all need to be in the right frame of mind to be receptive to certain things at certain times.

What I like about the term is that it probably won't allow people who are ignorant of blogging to dwell too much on pre-conceived ideas of what blogging can be about.

Anyway, the article I read (The growing market for blogs, James Cherkoff, BBC News: Technology) tries to breakdown the image of blogs being, "akin to a ranting madman on the corner". Instead, people are encouraged to see blogging, potentially anyway, as, "massive intertwining communities" and "have the vibrancy and passion of an enormous street market."

No comments: