Notion of a McJob challenged

I spotted an interesting feature on the so-called McJob today - typically associated with low-pay, low-prestige and a job that requires few skills and offers very little chance of intracompany advancement.

The article - The flip side of a McJob (Denise Winterman, BBC News: Magazine) - comments on research that challenges the stereotype of such work.

For example, the research suggests:

- McJobs have a positive impact on young people's lives

- Youngsters who work in McJobs are on the whole happy, enthusiastic and very motivated to succeed

- 85 per cent of McDonald's staff say their job was better than they thought it would be

- Many youngsters who have done poorly in mainstream education and left without any qualifications flourish and quickly progress in such companies.

However, the flip side (no pun intended) of the argument is put forward by trade unionists who are keen to point out:

- Despite reports of high job satisfaction, staff are expected to work all manner of unsociable hours for often minimum wages

- Third-party assessment of such jobs is difficult because most McJob employers don't or won't recognise unions

- It is widely believed that service sector work is second-rate employment

On the whole it's a good article and if you have any opinions on McJobs there's a chance to leave your opinions on the matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked a McJob in my late teens and it was actually far more McAwesome than I expected. The pay was great, it was busy and challenging, and I was working with a lot of people in my age group who I had a lot in common with it.

I didn't eat the McFood because I thought it was McNasty but I loved the money!

Anonymous said...

umm...
I might need a Mcjob if I stay here for a longer time and need pocket money.
and to Kat, that Mcfood does taste better in other places of the world, like China, Switzerland and Germany....
:P